Ok, so I got some different grit sandpapers, a sanding machine at the Home Depot, dismantled the guitar hardware and electronics (very carefully) and began scraping the original guitar finish... sorry I don't have pictures of this, I hadn't thought of chronicling this before :P ... While sanding down I was thinking to myself: This could be heaven... or this could be hell. haha.
Overall, I think the scraping came pretty well, although some parts where severely scratched, some finer grit paper did the work... primed the whole thing... wet sanded with water and a bit of soap and got a really really great base to work with. Then added my first coats of black (matte) lacquer. Again, sorry for the lack of pics... next steps will have pics.
Here's a pic before I removed components and the rest of the hardware and scraping.