The Most Instagrammed American Restaurants, Bakeries, and Cafes of 2017
To get an idea of the awesome might of Instagram in the food industry, consider the avocado.
The cost of the creamy, nutrient-dense fruit is the highest it's been in 19 years, with experts blaming, in part, the avocado toast trend that swept Instagram.
Instagram has transformed the food industry, claim experts, with millennials relying on it to both document and decide we’re eating. The app has more than 500 million users posting 60 million photos a day, about 59 million of which are in kitchens, restaurants, and other food establishments, estimates Food & Wine.
Instagram’s list of most Instagrammed restaurants in America, released on Wednesday, may not reveal the best food in the country, but it definitely delivers the prettiest and most popular.
The photo-centric social media giant divided its data into two sections: U.S restaurants and U.S. bakeries & cafes. Unsurprisingly, all of the most Instagrammed restaurants were in major cities, with New York claiming more than 10 spots. Trailing behind were Los Angeles with 5 of the most Instagrammed eateries, and Chicago with 3.
Topping the list of restaurants was 230 Fifth, an outdoor rooftop garden and penthouse lounge in New York, with an eclectic menu that includes aesthetically pleasing drinks like frosé (frozen rosé). Up next was celebrity-haunted sushi joint Nobu Malibu, followed by swanky seafood hotspot Catch — both of which are in Los Angeles.
For the bakeries and cafes category, Cafe du Monde in New Orleans earned the honor of most Instagrammed. Beloved by the likes of Kim Kardashian, the cafe dishes out beignets and coffee to eager Instagrammers from around the world. The colorful and creative donuts of Voodoo Doughnuts earned the Portland bakery second place, while the namesake of Cookie Dough Confections in New York earned the biz third place.
See the full list of most-Instagrammed restaurants, bakeries, and cafes in the US:
- 230 Fifth (New York, NY)
- Nobu Malibu (Los Angeles, CA)
- Catch LA (Los Angeles, CA)
- Katz's Delicatessen (New York, NY)
- TAO Downtown New York (New York, NY)
- Cindy's Rooftop (Chicago, IL)
- San Pedro Fish Market and Restaurant (Los Angeles, CA)
- Mr. Purple (New York, NY)
- Hard Rock Cafe New York (New York, NY)
- Stubb's Austin (Austin, TX)
- Be Our Guest Restaurant (Chicago, IL)
- Perch (Los Angeles, CA)
- TAO Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV)
- Hard Rock Cafe Orlando (Orlando, FL)
- Beauty & Essex (New York, NY)
- Chef Mickey's (Orlando, FL)
- The Oasis Restaurant and Bar (Austin, TX)
- Catch NYC (New York, NY)
- LAVO NYC (New York, NY)
- Peter Luger Steak House Est. 1887 (Brooklyn, NY)
Bakeries and cafes:
- Cafe Du Monde (New Orleans, LA)
- Voodoo Doughnut (Portland, OR)
- DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections (New York, NY)
- Taiyaki NYC (New York, NY)
- Little Damage (Los Angeles, CA)
- Starbucks Seattle (Seattle, WA)
- 3 Arts Club Cafe at Restoration Hardware (Chicago, IL)
- Dominique Ansel Bakery (New York, NY)
- Serendipity 3 (New York, NY)
- Sugar Factory (Las Vegas, NV)
Photo credit: Negative Space